Eulogy for LEGO Dimensions



I have to say, when I was littler, I didn’t really appreciate LEGO Dimensions. I never really understood the magic of it. Admittedly, when I first saw the trailer, I was convinced it was a joke and Batman, Gandalf, Legolas, Wildstyle, Benny, Marty McFly, and Jay weren’t really gonna set off across the LEGO Brick Road anytime soon. When it became clear that it was not some holiday I didn’t know about where people play tricks on each other, I was immediately disappointed at there being only forty-some characters.

Now I am older, and I realize how wonderful it is that we have eighty-some characters with their own abilities, lines, and animations, as opposed to the ten really unique characters and 200 skins for the default NPC animations. And every day I have one of THOSE moments where I think “Hey, the Batmobile, Superman, Supergirl, and Gandalf are fighting orcs and daleks aboard The Eye of Sauron, high above the skies of Metropolis.”


I have enjoyed many aspects of LEGO Dimensions, and I particularly like some of the lines that characters say. Here are some of my favorites:


  1. “E.T phone… Homer.” -E.T. when seeing Homer Simpson.
  2. “Oh, no, a unicorn!’ -Scooby-Doo when seeing Unikitty.
  3. “What-? I understood what that dog said! I’m not limited to talking to fish anymore! I-oh, wait… it’s Scooby-Doo…” -Aquaman when seeing Scooby-Doo.
  4. “Bacon, bacon pancakes. Got some bacon and I put it in a pancake. Bacon, bacon pancakes…” -Jake the Dog, when left idle
  5. “You’re Newt Scamander! I love your book! My friends and I… well... we made so many notes in it!” -Hermione upon seeing Newt Scamander
  6. “I could save the universe by the time this baby gets to 88 miles per hour. Quickly, back to the TARDIS!” -The 12th Doctor, when entering the Delorean time machine
  7. Marceline: “Hey girl, ready to cause some trouble?” Lumpy space princess: “Yeah, can’t spell lumpy space princess without B.A.D.” Marceline: “Actually, I don’t think your name has any B’s in it, or D’s for that matter.” Lumpy space princess: “Stop talking girl. Let’s GOOOOOO….” - Marceline and Lumpy Space Princess when seeing each other
  8. “Super. Man. Sloth. Love. Superman.” -Sloth, upon meeting Superman after 25 years
  9. “Evil beware, we have waffles!” -Raven, when spawning
  10. “I’m standing. I’m standing. I’m standing standing standing. Oh yeah… POW!” -Finn the human when in idle


Finally, I will sorely miss the amazing possibility of seeing characters I never would have dreamed of as LEGO figures.

RIP, LEGO Dimensions.

Comments

Post a Comment